About The Area
With over 300 days of glorious sunshine per year the Aude offers a fantastic variety of activities and places to visit during your holiday; a coast with large sandy beaches, huge forests in the Montagne Noir, vineyards, undulating countryside, Canal du Midi, lakes and gorges all to explore. The Aude also has a rich heritage ranging from the castles and fortresses of the Cathars, the medieval city of Carcassonne through to sleepy villages supported for centuries by the extensive vineyards
The village of Canet D’aude is in a fantastic location – surrounded by vineyards and only 2Km from the Canal du Midi. The nearest market town, Lezignan Corbieres, is only 4Km away with all the big supermarkets, a great butchers, posh patiserrie and an excellent local wine shop. You can also join the motorway at Lezignan which will give you fast access to all the region’s principal towns, cities and beaches.
Canet itself is a historic site and the village dates back to the 8th centry. Today it is a thriving village and offers all the modern amenties you may need within a 5 minute walk of the gite including. a small supermarket, boulangerie, bar, tabac, vegetable market (open Fridays and Sunday morning’s), pizza restaurant, a pharmacy and doctor’s surgery.
Places to go
- The beaches at Narbonne plage, Gruissan and Le Franqui
- The historic walled city of Carcassonne.
- The Roman city of Narbonne – the daily (morning) indoor market is always a favourite with food lovers
- Walks and restaurants along the Canal du Midi – you can hire little boats at various points along the Canal
- Family swimming areas in local rivers – Mirepisset and Bize and also at local lakes where the french often build beach areas
- For older children river jumping/swimming is a must at Ribaute. There is also; paint balling, canoeing (in the Orb valley) and go-karting near to the beach at Gruissan
- There is a water park at Narbonne Plage/Gruissan which our younger vistors always enjoy
- The medieval towns of Lagrasse and village of Minerve are always popular destinations and for those with a love of historic buildings the Abbey at Fontfroide and the Cathar castles in the mountains towards Perpignan are also outstanding – not for those prone to car sickness though!!
- Shopoholics will enjoy the boutiques of Narbonne and Montpellier